Blog moved to Brightonandback.com on Wordpress.

#MovieTime 2: Love, Rosie | Review


Hello my loves, how are you today?

Have you read any of Cecelia Ahern's books? I'm such a big fan of hers and so far got all of her books. I must admit I haven't had the time to read the last two though, life just got too busy but that still leaves another eight of her books that I absolutely adored. I am such a girl. My favourite one was Where Rainbows End (known as either Rosie Dunne or Love, Rosie in the US), so you can imagine how excited I was when a few months back I found out that someone finally made good use of the film rights and started producing a movie.
Or was I really that excited? I never really liked the PS I Love You adaptation with Hilary Swank and Gerard Butler back in 2008. In fact, the only reason why I finished the movie was Lisa Kudrow and my love for the sitcom FRIENDS. I did become a bit apprehensive once the first reviews popped up and Love, Rosie didn't really score high in either of them. Nevertheless, I have been looking forward to this movie for years - no lie - so nothing could stop me from watching this movie in the cinema. (Although my favourite cinema didn't even screen it either...)


Summary: Rosie (Lily Collins) and Alex (Sam Clalfin) have been best friends since they were five years old. On her 18th birthday they finally kiss but instead of figuring out what they mean to each other, Rosie has a mental blackout and cannot remember a thing. Fate and time work against them and soon they find each other in different relationships on two different sides of the world.

Starring: Lily Colins, Sam Claflin, Christian Cooke, Suki Waterhouse, Jaime Winstone and many, many more

Duration: 102mins

Trailer:


My opinion: I loved it. As I said before Where Rainbows End has been my favourite book by Cecelia Ahern for a long time. I loved the story so much that I read in several times in two languages and this movie actually brought me in the mood to read it again. Given that this is based on a book and the few bad reviews that I've read beforehand I didn't have many expectations really. I was glad that the cast was not full of these stereotypical Hollywood romcom stars and I'm still of this opinion after watching the movie. There was a lovely chemistry between Collins and Claflin and they just seemed to be the right fit throughout. Waterhouse and Egerton did a great job as unlikeable Alex's girlfriends and Jaime Winstone just fit perfectly into the role of Rosie's best friend Ruby. In short, I really liked the cast and they all did a great job at carrying the plot.
The story wasn't much altered from the book which can be seen as a good and as a bad thing. I'm not sure how I would've taken it if they changed it much - to be honest I probably wouldn't have liked it - but sticking so close to the original storyline didn't leave much space for surprises. (Again, the cast did a really great job given that it didn't bore and still captured me although I knew what was going to happen...) However, I assume after watching the trailer most people will be able to guess the storyline anyway - it's a romcom after all.
I found it quite funny, knowing that the story takes place in Ireland, to hear such a strong English accent but I guess that's just me being picky. Also, although I really enjoyed this movie it didn't quite capture the frustration of constantly missing each other and just not having the right timing which is assume is caused by the emphasis they put on their teenage years to introduce Rosie and Alex's situation and friendship.
Overall, I think this is a very charming and entertaining romcom with its funny, sad and dramatic moments. It's definitely worth watching.

My rating: ★★★★☆


Have you seen Love, Rosie? What did you think?


No comments:

Post a Comment