Blog moved to Brightonandback.com on Wordpress.

#MovieTime: The Judge | Review


Hello my loves, how are you today?

I have recently got a hold of Cineworld's Unlimited movies cards and let me tell you, I'm a very happy bunny because of that. Back when I was in Brighton, going to the cinema became some quite of retreat for me when the host family situation got a tiny bit out of hand and I couldn't handle all the yelling in the house anymore. It kind of stuck with me and might seem a bit weird to some but here in the UK I actually prefer going to the movies on my own. No compromising when it comes to the kind of movie, no one judging me for wanting to watch really terrible movies and above all I do get some me time as well. Not gonna lie, I'm just loving it. The Unlimited card comes for just £16.40 a month which excludes the Westend theatres here in London and you can watch as many films as you like and even get a cheeky 10% off popcorn and the likes.
Anyway, as I finally (after 3 years of meaning to apply for it) have my Unlimited card there's gonna be a weekly feature called Movie Time which will review the movies that I've watched.



If you follow me on Twitter, you might have seen that I went to see The Judge with Robert Downey Jr on Saturday for mostly one reason: I just love RDJ especially in suits. Ever since the first Sherlock Holmes movie back in 2009 I'm a big, big fan of his. So prepare for an ode to this gorgeous, gorgeous man.


Summary: Robert Downey Jr. plays Hank Palmer, a Chicago defense attorney who returns to his small town home in Indiana for his mother’s funeral and stays just long enough to rekindle old conflicts with his estranged father (Robert Duvall), the local judge and pillar of the community whose implacable values and judgmental dynamics have kept his three sons divided and in turmoil for years. Vincent D’Onofrio, as the resentful older brother Glen who never left home, and Jeremy Strong, as the mentally impaired youngest brother Dale, both cower under the domineering control of their father, known to everyone simply as The Judge, but Hank clashes openly with the old man. Neither of them has a talent for saying what they really feel, and it is obvious that they will never reconcile.
Hank is about to fly home when a shocking crisis erupts. The Judge is accused of the hit-and-run killing of a man he once sentenced to prison, suspended from the bench and tried in the same courtroom where he’s been dispensing justice for decades. Under the circumstances, Hank is forced reluctantly to take over the job of defense attorney in the resulting murder trial with his own father as a client — an awkward position that pits him against a crafty out-of-town prosecutor played by Billy Bob Thornton. It’s a tough case that uncovers damning evidence, and Hank’s father is no help at all.
(Adapted from The Observer.)

Starring: Robert Downey Jr; Robert Duvall; Billy Bob Thornton, Vincent D’Onofrio, Jeremy Strong and many, many more

Duration: 141mins

Trailer:




My opinion: After Sherlock Holmes, The Avengers and Iron Man or even Due Date it was the first time I've seen Robert Downey Jr in a rather serious role. And as much as I love his Tony Stark and Sherlock Holmes, I must admit that I really like seeing him like this. Although this role was different to his previous ones, his character Hank still has this cocky, smug and kind of full of himself attitude that RDJ portrays just beautifully in the other movies as well.
RDJ and Duvall are in the centre of a broken family life and portray the tension immaculately, especially as the story builds up and the murder trial begins. The rest of the cast doesn't fault this movie either and the acting is brilliant throughout the movie. Learning more and more about the circumstance how the family became estranged made me constantly change my mind about each of the characters and whether I actually wanted the judge to be found guilty.
Overall, this movie has everything you could ask for: just the right amount of funny moments; serious and heartwrenching scenes that get you thinking and I must admit my eyes didn't stay dry either - and of course a very fit Robert Downey Junior (not sorry).

My rating: ★★★★★ (5/5)


Have you seen The Judge? What did you think?


No comments:

Post a Comment